Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Gnomes!

I used to be a bit indifferent about lawn ornaments even though I recognized that the pink plastic flamingo was the height of tackiness. (And glowing ones? Don't get me started...)
 
After discovering the Yard Art Game, these views changed. Now, I am a somewhat rueful champion of the lawn gnome...and of golden manatees. Which I hear are selling rather well on cafe press these days.
 
Which was why, when working the drive-through window at Taco Bell last night and  young man in a dented green truck pulled up for his Fat Fiesta (*ahem* His XL Chalupa) I was a bit taken aback by the contents of his truck bed.
 
Three lawn gnomes along with a few cuttings and a shovel.
 
If you know me at all, are a regular reader, you know the kinds of things I started thinking. Is it not a heinous crime to steal a gnome? Were they kidnapped? Used as payment for "lawn service"? (hey, you know what they say about gardeners and pool boys) Possible Mafia hit with shovel to bury the evidence?
 
Of course, much in the spirit of learning as a Walmart clerk not to comment on items bought, I wasn't going to bring the subject up. "So, uh, nice gnomes you got there...." See? Awkward....

2 comments:

lifeshighway said...

What... OMG no pictures! You really need to travel with a camera or a camera phone.

The point of a glowing flamingo is that it is tacky. Personally, I am not a fan of the pink bird.

Unknown said...

No way! I would have had to ask. I am imagining some weird ransom for Christmas money.