Sunday, December 20, 2009

All About Priority


Norine was a small woman, petite and dressed to run even though it was cold out. Her demeanor was perky...that annoying kind of perky that makes you want to start yanking ponytails while cackling "I just killed a cute little puppy".



Ever so luckily, I was at the right hand computer that day. This may not mean much to you, but the right hand computer is the one who's counter top is partially obscured by some fake snowy pine branches and other Christmas paraphernalia. This means that when a guest...Norine...comes up to take on a receptionist in an intense battle of verbal skillz, she'll go to the computer on the left, where sat my illustrious co-worker. This co-worker is different than "greengirl" who dealt with spoon man in happy naivete. This is the battle-hardened warrior of the front desk. With steel for her eyes, we'll call her graygirl.





Norine's perkiness soon revealed itself as in reality a forced cheeriness designed to get her what she wanted.






Namely, a different room.




"When I checked in, you told me that first floor was all that was available then, and I still don't like it. I'm not comfortable there" she said. Obvious in her statement was that she checked in before official check in time, and even when told it would have to be first floor, went ahead and checked in. Now you want to complain about it? Get in line, Norine, get in line.




Graygirl: I can check, but I'll need to see if housekeeping has time to clean your room




Norine: What?! I just put my stuff on the bed! I didn't do anything!




Graygirl: Nonetheless, I'll need to check.




Norine: *grumbles and complains*


While Graygirl is checking with housekeeping, Norine does something that annoying people do but don't seem to realize. (or if they do, they don't care) She continues to make her case for moving rooms while Graygirl is trying to do something about it.


It's like she doesn't trust that it won't get done unless she constantly affirms the fact she deserves it.


Which actually doesn't do anything but make her annoying.


Sample from the bombarding verbiage:


"Well, there's people that haven't checked in yet, can't I have one of their room? After all, we're all part of the same group so we should have equal priority."


"And I'm with the people who are paying for the rooms, so I should have priority over them!"


It was like she had just learned the word priority and somehow got points for every time she managed to use it in a sentence.


And if I may remind you Norine, you didn't seem to care when you checked in...


"I'm not comfortable on the first floor"


This statement in it of itself isn't the issue, it's that she neglected to continue. In my experience, if people aren't comfortable to the point they need to move, they aren't hesitant in the least in telling you why. In fact, they fall over themselves telling you why because it's so important to them. It's kind of like the "where do the girls go?" man. First I'll need to finish his story though.


When we left off, I was wiping my hand increasingly on my pants to get the feel of clammy off.


The next day, he comes up the the front desk.


Him: My room smells like paint...did you just paint in there? I need to move.


Me: We did paint rather recently for our renovations. I can definitely move you, and I apologize for the smell. (I begin to make keys for him)


Him: Oh! Well, I don't need to switch now...maybe tomorrow morning...


Me: ??!! Okay...


It's obvious what was happening here. Any ideas class? Ah, the young lady in the back!


"He was just trying to see if you remembered."


Exactly. If the paint was enough of a problem that he "needed" to move, he would need to do it right away--not wait a day or too. He must have been trying to gauge my reaction, and I hopefully convinced him it was all a symptom of his boozy, liver-failure-inducing mind.


Point being, it's not hard for me to figure out if your words are being used for purposes other that what is explicitly stated.


And a self important sham has no priority.





2 comments:

lifeshighway said...

I don't know where the girls go either. But I don't need that particular skill in marketing (or do I). I would get that hand steam cleaned.

Good call on the "reaction test". I bet you have an excellent poker face.

Graygirl scares me a bit.

lifeshighway said...

Merry Christmas, redgirl. Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday.